Friday, July 22, 2005

Dad's new girlfriend

My dad was pretty excited on the phone introducing me about his new girlfriend. I asked about her name, family and profession. As the answers transmitted to my ear to my mind, the time seemed just drifted me away from the phone. It was August 25, almost a year now after mom breathed her last breath in the hospital of breast cancer terminal stage. From the flight landed at Taiwan to the day I cried goodbye to my lovely and strong mom was only 100 days.

She had been always a funny, strong and thoughful mom since I came to this world. I addmit that I am more daddy's girl. But knowing that it does not mean sweetly hugging and smiling here. In asian culture, fathers are the type of roles that whip you with their serious glares. In my family, I am pretty sure that I am the one who dares to reply his glares with a soft greeting kind of conversation. There was a period of time that I madly againsted my mom on all kind of things. And I blamed it to the HORMONE. Yes, if it was not it by what else reason I can attribute to?

I started to understand more about my mom and the relationship between us when I went to college then working in the baby room and pediactric clinic. We were closer and less tesion. Three years after graduating from the college, I flew to the States to achieve my dream of higher education. Then it was the 3rd year at the beginning of my second degree, I got to know that she had cancer. I went back last year and spent her last three months whith her. We would hand in hand walk in the park, take the bus shopping at the mall, and eat like queen and princess at a fancy restaurant. I think and hope she was happy while I was with her though it was not 100 percent perfect life.

She is pretty, a retired teacher, and likes to sing my dad's happy tone of describing his new girlfriend. I was still on the phone listening. In deed, I am very happy for him. It was just another me feel like crying when time flys back to last year. Has he forgotten about mom? I wondered as I hang up the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment