Saturday, August 20, 2005

The New World

I have been thinking about writing a narrowtive about Carey. I met Carey while I was in Texas working on my master degree. He was working on his too. In my view, he is a true artist, photographer, and a friend with funs. Talking with Carey makes you feel that you were filmed by him. This might be a little too abstracted. But if you have seen his graduate thesis video about the forestry story, you will know what I mean. In this short historical documentary, he interviewed the people from Roosevelt's Tree Army. When those young boys who were between 18-25 age planting trees for living, they won't know how much it means to the world today. Under Roosevelt's Tree Army, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was designed to reduce unemployment while also conserving natural resources. The CCC changed the lives of several million people, along with Big Bend National Park in Texas.
In the film, these unmarried "young boys" are now covering with grey hair, wearing reading glasses and singing song with guitar on racking chair on porch. The story starts with the some black and white pictures showing young men planting tree in the wild then comes with the aside speaking of different people's memories. The audiens were seem to stand in the wild with those young men planting tree. There were some laughting, sweating, and singing. The story ended with an old man singing with giutar. I was so touched.
When I know that Carey is going to be part of a hollywood movie, I was so excited and happy for him. I know he will make it. He was just coming back from Mongolia filming a short film. The movie maker informed him to work in Virginia and he went for about 6 months. As he came back, I was shared some fun stories about Ferrel Colin, the director and so on. Life is fun when you have stories to share with firends.
The movie is my type of movie. I like indian legends and all kind of things about native american. It is kind of mysterious and taboo. I know that I will definately enjoy the movie and think of Carey!

No comments:

Post a Comment